Tips for Office Tenants caught in a Tornado Warning
A tornado warning is an alert by the National Weather Service confirming a tornado sighting and location. The Weather Service will announce the approximate time of detection and direction of movement. Wind will be 75 M.P.H. or greater.
- Pull blinds or drapes closed, if time allows.
- Get away from the perimeter of the building and exterior glass.
- Leave your exterior office and close the door.
- If you have a portable radio or flashlight, take it with you.
- Go to a core location (central corridor, elevator lobby, enclosed stairwell, restroom).
- Protect your head and eyes, lie flat, and make as small a target as possible.
- Use the elevators.
- Go to the first floor lobby or outside the building.
- Touch any exposed wiring after the tornado passes.
- Go to a stairwell for shelter.
- Do not go to the first floor lobby or outside the building.
- IF YOU ARE CAUGHT IN AN OUTSIDE PERIMETER OFFICE seek protection under a desk.